Saturday 24 April 2010

Woven Inkles

Inkle madness continued:


I found a neat and colourful way to use up all the bits of inkle leftover from prior projects!
I wove them together and bound them with another inkle, then lined it and stitched a zipper in around three edges and put a loop at one end. This little "pencil case" is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and opens almost flat. If all my neurons had been firing properly I'd have planned pockets inside, so I could use it for things like crochet hooks or drawing pencils and a little pad of paper, but now I'll know for next time.


I really loved how this allows for mix-matching all sorts of cool patterns for an attractive finished product.


I'm really proud of my most recent project. I call it my little jolly roger purse. I don't know why it makes me think of pirates. Maybe it's the black and white bits. I used a couple long inkles made eons ago by aligning variegated crochet thread as best I could on the loom, so that it came out as a rainbow. The result makes this purse warm on one side and cool on the other. Well. If you ask me it's 'cool' all around. :P The finished purse is 9" x 6".

The cool side:


WARM!

A couple views of the cool plangi (tie-dye) lining. I did a bunch of cotton fabric in plangi in my last year at the college, knowing someday it would be useful!



Alright. Time to go and start threading up all my inkle looms! I am running low!

Cheers n' Beers!

~JQ

No comments: